Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chicken Tortilla "Miracle" Soup

Here is the soup that my mom made for me and worked miracles when I was sick. I like it SPICY with many a jalapeno.

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-2-3 tablespoons diced jalapenos (canned Ortega)
3 zucchini, diced
4 tomatoes, diced
4 cups, cooked and diced chicken (just get a rotisserie chicken from the market and shred the breast meat)
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste

2 boxes of Swanson chicken stock or enough to cover chicken and vegetables to your liking.

Tortilla strips
1 avocado, diced
Cheddar cheese, grated

Heat oil in a saute pan. Add onion and carrot and saute until tender. Add garlic, jalapeno and zucchini and saute for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer then add tomatoes, chicken, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes.

Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Cut corn tortillas into strips. Fry until brown and crispy. Drain well on paper towels.

Shred cheese. Dice an avocado.

Ladle into soup bowls and top with tortillas strips, avocado and cheese.

Eat and sleep for 10 hours

7 comments:

  1. Yum. Will you PROMISE me that 10+ hrs comes with this soup??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only that were the case--I did reheat leftovers last night and had a very decent night's sleep. Although, "decent" for me lately is defined as 5 hours. Not really enough overall. Why not sleeping?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I think I'll have to make it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I like it, too, because it doesn't used canned tomatoes. The fresh ones cut up are just a little more appetizing to eat in soup and it doesn't make the base overly tomato-esque.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was delicious! Even KeiLi the picky eater loved it! I think next time I will use fresh jalapenos to garnish on the side, it wasn't quite spicy enough for me although it was perfect for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Yeah--fresh jalapenos would certainly give it an additional kick. The last time I cooked with them I ended up putting yogurt on my face and the seed residue got in my contacts which really wasn't too smart but I didn't say I was a genius...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This probably wouldn't help with your contacts but if you rub your hands (or in Mei's case--your lips) on stainless steel under cold running water it somehow neutralizes the burning feeling. It was the only thing that worked the time she used a serrano pepper as lipstick (we were growing them in the back yard).

    ReplyDelete