Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Poulet Provencal

I am not a big fan of handling a whole raw chicken but I love roast chicken recipes because I can get multiple meals out of just one dish. We recently tried this one from Gourmet magazine, via epicurious.com and it was delicious--way better than those rotisserie chickens you can get at the market. If you're like me and hate handling the whole bird, you could probably use some skin-on chicken breasts instead with okay results. But seriously, if I can get over my squeamishness so can you and the payoff is pretty damn good.

  • 1 pound tomatoes (3 to 4 medium), cut into wedges
  • 1 large onion, cut into wedges, leaving root ends intact
  • 1/2 cup drained brine-cured black olives, pitted if desired
  • 1 fennel bulb, cut into wedges
  • 4 large garlic cloves, sliced, plus 1 teaspoon minced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds)

Preheat convection oven to 400°F for regular oven to 425°F with rack in middle.

Toss together tomatoes, onion, olives, fennel bulb, sliced garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence, fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a 13- by 9-inch or other 3-quart shallow baking dish. Push vegetables to sides of dish to make room for chicken.

Stir together minced garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, remaining teaspoon herbes de Provence, and remaining tablespoon olive oil.

Remove excess fat from chicken and pat dry, then rub inside and out with seasoning mixture. Tie legs together with string, then put chicken in baking dish.

Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of a thigh (do not touch bone) registers 170°F, about 1 hour in convection oven; 1 to 1 1/4 hours in regular oven.

Let chicken stand 10 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables and pan juices.

2 comments:

  1. Handling a whole chicken literally is one of my biggest fears. Don't even get me started on turkeys and the extreme anxiety with hosting my first thanksgiving...

    This looks SO good though. I may have to conquer my fears. I love the fennel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never roasted a chicken. My mother has taught me how to every single time she has visited me in the last few years, but I never mange it on my own. I have done turkey breasts that are bigger than chickens. Somehow I'm afraid of the chickens. I even bought a rotisserie chicken this morning. But, along with wheat bread this is going to be one of my goals for 2009. Once cannot be a mother if she can't roast a chicken, right?

    ReplyDelete