Thursday, April 16, 2009

She cooked!

Well, baked. For Easter, I made Fallen Chocolate Souffle Cake, recipe from The Cottage cookbook (thank you, Jensens!):

16 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped OR 8 oz semisweet plus 8 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
9 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and line with parchment paper a 10-inch springform pan. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler over simmering water. Remove from the heat and cool to a lukewarm temperature. Stir in the vanilla. In a medium bowl beat the egg yolks with the sugar until thick and the color is light. Fold in the cooled chocolate. In a separate below beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour the batter into the springform pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the center is barely set. Cool and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before removing the sides of the pan. Makes 10 servings.


Yes, I typed it correctly and you read it correctly. There are NINE eggs in the recipe and the chocolate comes out to somewhere around 3 cups. Makes the half a pound of butter sound pretty ok.

It's rich, but v yummy. Some lessons - I baked it for 30 minutes because my gas (boo) oven usually takes extra time for baking, but I wish I'd stopped it at 25. The center is gooey wonderful, but the outer edges, while fine, are not as moist as I would like. Also, I would serve it with raspberries or strawberries because it's very rich. Steve likes it with chocolate ice cream. Somehow, in his world, this cuts the intense sweetness. The best part? It's quite easy to make and could look pretty impressive with some berries, a platter and very little effort. Of course I forgot to take pictures before it was all sliced up.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I think I would be too terrified to make this due to the 9 egg factors (maybe not the pound of butte, though). Mmmm chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, don't be afraid of the eggs! Make it now while you're pregnant and can feel good about the protein without any guilt. This is why I had a slice for second breakfast today.

    ReplyDelete