Friday, June 11, 2010

Killer Cabbage Slaw

Now--if I saw the title of this recipe I would think "blech" because I'm not really a "slaw" type of person. I think this is mainly because everytime I eat it brings back forsaken memories of the KFC drive-thru that we ended up eating at when my dad was out to sea (this is not a metaphor). ANYWAY--its really good. Yummy and I am going through a real sesame thing right now. Sesame bagels, sesame dressing, sesame slaw! Love love love! Also please note the "SERVES 12" below--I would imagine you could make this smaller but just use minimal amounts of the seasoning in the ramen packet.

Dressing:
3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup canola oil or any vegetable oil
½ teaspoon pepper
Seasoning packet from Japanese ramen noodle mix

Salad:
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
½ cup slivered almonds
1 (3-oz.) package Japanese ramen soup mix noodles
4 cups shredded cabbage (I buy the pre-shredded cabbage)
1-2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
3 green onions, finely chopped

Make salad dressing and allow time for flavors to blend. Toast sesame seeds and slivered almonds in a fry pan until they begin to brown/golden. Cool. Place soup mix noodles in a plastic bag and break up or roll with a rolling pin (not too fine). Mix with toasted sesame seeds and almonds. Combine shredded cabbage, shredded lettuce and chopped green onions. Just before serving, add sesame seeds, almonds, noodles and dressing. Mix lightly. Serves 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment