Sunday, July 19, 2009

Spicy Orange Chicken Stir-Fry

I had this crazy momentum yesterday evening at 7pm.  Usually Lars and I will go out to dinner on Saturday night--but I was totally craving a night in so took it upon myself to look up a recipe on my iphone via the epicurious app after impulsively buying Tess of the D'Urbervilles at Borders to try and find something quick and easy to make for dinner.  I think I may have been manic, but the results ended up quite nice!

This was VERY easy to make and had a lot of kick to it.  Lars wished it was a little sweeter.  He likes the SWEET and the SPICY but to me it was just right.  I think, what he was really wishing for, was that I discovered the secret recipe for Chang's Spicy Chicken at PF Chang's and made that.  Yeah, good look with that, honey buns.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups jasmine rice or long-grain white rice (10 to 11 ounces) 3/4 cup orange juice 3 tablespoons soy sauce 1 tablespoon cornstarch 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced Large pinch of dried crushed red pepper 1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips 1 8-ounce package stringless sugar snap peas

Preparation:
  • Cook rice according to package directions. Cover to keep warm; set aside.
  • Meanwhile, whisk juice, soy sauce, and cornstarch in medium bowl until cornstarch dissolves. Mix in orange peel.
  • Heat oil in large wok or nonstick skillet over high heat. Add onion and crushed red pepper. Stir-fry 30 seconds. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add to wok and stir-fry until onion is crisp-tender and chicken is just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add sugar snap peas and juice mixture. Toss until sauce thickens and comes to boil and peas are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with rice.

2 comments:

  1. Your impulse buys are way more high brow than mine--usually makeup or tabloid magazines. This sounds yummy I'll have to find a night without kids to make something yummy spicy like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really the only kick to it was the hot peppers--I also added a little bit of garlic to it. I think if you made it sans or even just a little less than what they recommend of the hot pepper it would still be good? Maybe not...? SO EASY, though. Mostly all the ingredients I had on hand except for the snap peas.

    ReplyDelete