Tuesday, February 5, 2013

California Chopped Salad

Another recipe circa my Cottage cookbook.  I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing something illegal by posting it on here.  Am I?

We had our neighbors Bobby & Tina plus their adorable near-one-year old Emma over for a very spontaneous dinner last Friday night.  I was able to whip up homemade spaghetti pretty easily (its one of those back-pocket recipes you can go to in a pinch--you all have one, I know you do!) but I figured I should gussy up a salad of some kind.  This one looked easy, although I won't tell you how disappointed Lars was on a scale of 1-7 that there was no croutons.  I mean, it was off the charts!  Boy loves his croutons.  That said, our neighbors kept saying how good it was--and this should not really be that big of a surprise considering the delicious (and somewhat unhealthy?) ingredients.  Hey--it had garbanzo beans.  I get a little health street credibility for that, right?

CALIFORNIA CHOPPED SALAD
Ingredients
1.5 head of romaine lettuce
1.5 cups Caesar dressing (we used a FRACTION of this.  Restaurants always drown their salads in dressing, don't they?)
1 plus 1/2 cup chopped salami (I felt like this was totally an unnecessary ingredient if you are a veg.  It is not a bad addition; just not integral to the salad being delicious).
1 cup marinated artichoke hearts (we used non-marinated from a can.  Still good).
1 cup chopped mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup garbanzo beans drained
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup shredded parmesan (we omitted this ingredient although there was fresh parmesan on the table that people were informed they could sprinkle on their salad if they'd like).

Instructions
Wash and dry the lettuce and chop into small pieces.  In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the salad dressing, 1 cup of the chopped salami, the artichokes, mozzarella cheese, olives, green onions, and garbanzo beans.  Divide the salad among four serving dishes.  Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the chopped tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of remaining salami on each (we did not do this whole divide and conquer step--we just threw everything together and tossed it up! although I will say adding the dressing to the lettuce before all the other ingredients was a very helpful step).  Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese and enjoy.

Boy do I use a lot of parentheses.   I wish I had taken a photo of this salad.  I thought it looked v nice when all was sad and done.  I was proud!


No comments:

Post a Comment