Sunday, September 13, 2009

Corn and tomatoes

I made this on Friday and this on Saturday. Yum. And we felt so healthy!

We love the Bittman salad - my mom had made it for us when we were on vacation - and I think it will become a regular part of our rotation. We use turkey bacon. Also, I couldn't find Thai peppers so I just used some random kind. Make and love this salad.

I modified the Smitten Kitchen cornbread salad - not on purpose but because that's life and cooking. I didn't have the inclination to chase down the various types of greens (trader joes i love you but i hate your approach to produce; really - all those wasteful plastic containers and more of one thing than i ever need?) so I just used a mix of greens. I couldn't find a Vidalia onion either so I just used some type of sweet onion. For no good reason I am afraid of putting my skillet in the oven so I didn't use the cornbread recipe provided. I planned to use TJ's cornbread mix (forgive me), but they were out so I ended up making the Joy of Cooking's Northern Cornbread. I think it might have been better to have the sweeter TJ cornbread because it would have contrasted with the bite of the onions and the dressing. Despite my tweaks, it was good.

I wasn't going for a theme, it just looks like it. Both were very easy and yielded leftovers that we enjoyed today. Excellent.

2 comments:

  1. Both of these look so delicious and something to start trying to eat before the (gasp) end of summer.

    Amen on the Trader Joe's produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made the cornbread salad last night for my neighbor's birthday chili cookout. Delicious and perfect with the chili, southern cornbread and lots of beer on a gorgeous fall evening.

    ReplyDelete